Residential Two-Tier Electricity Rates – Request for Comments

Posted Thursday, October 20, 2016

Most residents in BC pay for electricity on a two-tier rate (known as a residential inclining block rate or a residential conservation rate). Under the two-tier rates, customers pay a lower price for electricity consumed up to a threshold and a higher price for electricity consumed above the threshold.

The BC Minister of Energy and Mines has asked the British Columbia Utilities Commission to report to the government on the impact of these two-tier rates.

Request for your comments

As part of the Commission’s review, BC Hydro and FortisBC have filed reports on the impacts these rates have had on their customers. The Commission is seeking comments on BC Hydro and FortisBC’s reports.

These reports, titled BC Hydro Utility Report and FortisBC Utility Report, can be found on the Commission’s website at www.bcuc.com under Current Proceedings > BCUC RIB Rate Report > Hearing and Other Documents or http://www.bcuc.com/ApplicationView.aspx?ApplicationId=506.

Please provide your comments using the Commission’s Letter of Comment Form found online at http://www.bcuc.com/Register-Letter-of-Comment.aspx. All comments must be received in writing.

Please send your written comments by email or mail to the Commission Secretary on or before Thursday, November 24, 2016 at:

  Email: [email protected]
  Mail: Ms. Laurel Ross
Acting Commission Secretary
BC Utilities Commission
Sixth Floor, 900 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 2N3

For more information please contact the Commission using the contact information above or by phone at 1-800-663-1385.