HomeNewsMedia Releases

Swan Lake Projects Receive Funding

Posted Monday, April 13, 2015

Coldstream, B.C. – Water related projects have been given a boost thanks to funding from the Okanagan Basin Water Board (OBWB). The Regional District of North Okanagan (RDNO) has received $30,000 in funding from the OBWB’s Water Conservation and Quality Improvement Grant Program for two projects in the North Okanagan focused on Swan Lake.

The second phase of the Land Use and Water Quality Assessment of Swan Lake received $15,000 to allow for continued investigation into what influence, if any, adjoining land uses, existing sewerage disposal systems, and storm water are having on water quality in Swan Lake. Swan Lake is one of the most important wetland habitats in the south central interior of B.C. and is recognized for its value to staging and breeding waterfowl. It is on a major provincial migratory corridor and is an important resting and feeding stop for migratory birds as well as providing essential nesting habitat. There is concern regarding the impact of land use activities on water quality and wildlife habitat. Western Water Associates, a local hydrological consulting firm, was recently awarded the contract to conduct the Land Use and Water Quality Assessment.

The Swan Lake Flood Mapping Project also received a $15,000 OBWB grant. The project involves floodplain mapping to provide an improved understanding of flood flows, facilitating better planning and flood management. The water level of Swan Lake is managed to provide flows to B.X. Creek and Vernon Creek during low flow periods and provide flood mitigation during high flow times (i.e. freshet). It also affects valued wildlife habitat, including one of the largest urban Great Blue Heron rookeries in western Canada.

“These projects will promote a better understanding of Swan Lake, which will help decision-makers manage this important ecological infrastructure, and we want to thank OBWB for this opportunity,” said Anna Page, Sustainability Coordinator for the RDNO.

For further information, please call 250-550-3700.