HomeServicesEngineeringSolid Waste & RecyclingRecycling → Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why is my recycling day different than my garbage day?
A: The residential blue box recycling program is now a Recycle BC program.  Garbage collection is a municipal program. Please contact Recycle BC for residential curbside recycling information (link to or your municipality for more information about residential garbage collection.

Q: Is there a place I can drop off my recycling?
A: Yes. All Regional District of North Okanagan (RDNO) Recycling and Disposal Facilities (RDFs) have recycling drop centres for Blue Bag Recyclables, glass, and cardboard. Styrofoam is accepted at the Greater Vernon and Armstrong/Spallumcheen RDFs. Also check your local yellow pages for private drop off recycling sites such as Bottle Depots or contact the BC Recycling Hotline at 1.800.667.4321, [email protected] or online at

Q: Is the Regional District of North Okanagan (RDNO) still managing the residential, curbside recycling program?
A: No, as of May 19, 2014 the RDNO is no longer responsible for managing the residential, curbside Blue Bag Recycling Program. Recycle BC has assumed responsibility for the new Blue Box Recycling Program as they have in other areas of the Province. For more information about the new program contact Recycle BC at:

Phone: 778-588-9504
email: [email protected]

Q: Are blue or clear bagged recycling still accepted at RDNO Recycling and Disposal Facilities?
A: Blue or clear bags containing mixed paper, cardboard, food grade tin and aluminum, plastics #1-7 (not including Styrofoam products) are accepted, free of charge, at all RDNO Recycling and Disposal Facilities.

Q: What types of plastic are accepted in the blue or clear bags accepted at RDNO Recycling and Disposal Facilities?
A: All colours of plastic containers with the recycling codes 1-7, except #6 Styrofoam, are accepted in the blue or clear bag. Plastic film (clean grocery & shopping bags, bread bags, and Saran Wrap) is also accepted. Ensure all plastic is clean. Styrofoam products with the recycling code #6 must be placed in the Styrofoam collection containers past the scales at both the Greater Vernon Recycling and Disposal Facility and the Armstrong Spallumcheen Recycling and Disposal Facility, fees apply. Residents with Styrofoam products may also utilize a Recycle BC depot, at no charge, in Vernon at Interior Freight and Bottle Depot, and Venture Training Centre, the Venture Bottle Depot in Lumby, and the Armstrong Spallumcheen Bottle Depot in Armstrong.

Q: I have a lot of cardboard boxes. Do I have to put it in bags when visiting a Recycling and Disposal Facility?
A: No, the RDNO accepts cardboard placed in blue or clear bags, as well as loose cardboard at each of the Recycling and Disposal Facilities.

Q: What type of metal can I put in my Blue Bag for recycling?
A: Clean tin and aluminum cans, jar lids, aluminum trays, and aluminum foil.

Q: Does the RDNO accept agricultural plastic for recycling at its Recycling and Disposal Facilities?
A: Not currently. Agricultural plastics such as twine, irrigation tubing and silage wrap are not widely recyclable and are difficult to market. The RDNO is looking for ways to recycle this material, but at present agricultural plastics are considered regular refuse.

Q: Can I recycle milk and milk substitute cartons?
A: These containers are accepted in the Recycle BC curbside blue box program, at Recycle BC depots and at specific Return-It bottle depots. These containers are NOT accepted for recycling at RDNO RDF recycling drop centres. All empty milk, cream, and milk substitute (soy & rice) beverage containers (plastic, cartons, and jugs) are included in these programs. Please rinse and flatten before returning. These items do not have a deposit at the point of sale, and therefore do not have a deposit paid back upon return. For more information, visit or

Q: Where can I recycle Styrofoam?
A: Residents with Styrofoam products may also utilize a Recycle BC depot, at no charge, in Vernon at Interior Freight and Bottle Depot, and Venture Training Centre, the Venture Bottle Depot in Lumby, and the Armstrong Bottle Depot in Armstrong.
Businesses and residents with clean, stickerless Styrofoam blocks, containers, cups, egg cartons, meat trays and peanuts can be taken to Recycling and Disposal Facilities in Vernon and Armstrong for a minimum charge of $3. Click here for more information.

Q: Where can I recycle batteries?
A: Batteries are included in the Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) programs and are accepted free-of-charge for drop-off recycling at many other locations. To find a depot or find out what is accepted, go online to All Recycling and Disposal Facilities recycle batteries for a fee.

Q: Where can I go to find out about all the Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) drop-off recycling programs?
A: To better understand all of the drop-off recycling programs that currently exist for North Okanagan residents and businesses, go online to

Q: Where can I dispose of paint?
A: Paint, and paint aerosols can be taken to Chasers Bottle Depot at 4702 31Street or Interior Freight & Bottle at 4205 24 Avenue in Vernon. Armstrong Collision and Glass in Armstrong, and KBM Autoworks and Towing in Lumby are paint exchange depots. Chasers Bottle Depot also accepts flammable liquids, flammable aerosols, domestic pesticides, and gasoline. For a complete listing of accepted products and locations visit

Q: How do I properly dispose of my old, unused or unwanted medicines safely?
A: You may return expired or unused medications to your pharmacist for environmentally responsible disposal. For more information on medication returns go to

Q: Can I recycle electronic waste?
A: Computers and peripherals (i.e. mouse, keyboard), monitors, TVs and many more items can be taken to an Encorp drop site. To find the most up to date locations and accepted items go online to Small appliances have also been added to the growing list of drop-off recycling items. Now you can recycle items in the following categories; kitchen countertop, floor cleaning, power tools, time and weight measurement, garment care, air treatment, personal care, sewing and textile, exercise equipment, sports and leisure, and very small items. For a complete list of accepted items and to locate a depot near you go online to *Note - not all locations will be able to accept large products.*

Q: Where can I take non-labeled hazardous waste for recycling and disposal?
A: Hazardous waste can be taken free of charge year round during regular hours of operation to Interior Freight and Bottle Depot in Vernon.