HomeServicesProtective Services → Bylaw Enforcement

Bylaw Enforcement

Regional District of North Okanagan (RDNO) bylaws are in place to develop and maintain a safe and livable environment for all residents of the North Okanagan. 

The goal of RDNO Bylaw Enforcement is not to penalize residents, but to achieve compliance with Regional District bylaws through education and the provision of information.

Not all bylaws are in effect throughout all areas of the Regional District, and some apply only in specified areas.  Please refer to each Bylaw for more information.

How to Register a Complaint
Complaints are received through our online form, by mail, e-mail, phone, fax and in-person at our office at 9848 Aberdeen Road in Coldstream.   You must provide your name, address and contact information (phone, e-mail and/or mailing address), and your relationship to the property or individual about which you are registering the complaint.

Considerations When Initiating a Complaint:
Complainant information is considered confidential and will not be released except under an order from the Provincial Freedom of Information Commissioner.

After a complaint has been registered, a Bylaw Enforcement officer will conduct an initial investigation to determine the appropriate course of action.

Bylaw Enforcement officers are responsible for the identification, investigation, mediation and resolution of bylaw violations, and will assist residents willing to correct infractions to achieve compliance with Regional District bylaws.

Complaints are often resolved amicably between neighbours.  Bylaw Enforcement officers will, at times, recommend that residents attempt to resolve issues on their own.

Ultimately, it is the responsibility of Bylaw Enforcement officers to ensure compliance with Regional District bylaws, and they may utilize a number of tools, including direct enforcement (Regional District staff or contractors remove or resolve the non-compliance at the property owner’s cost), the issuance of municipal tickets, or the seeking of court orders or injunctions.

Having issues with rodents? The RDNO is not associated with rodent control, but you can visit the Government of British Columbia's website for information on managing pests. 

Please direct enquiries to:
Phone: 250-550-3700
Fax:  250-550-3701
E-mail: [email protected]