An effective method of preventing wildfires from threatening life and property is to eliminate (or remove) the risk before the fires occur.
Fires in the wildland-urban interface (WUI) pose a growing threat to communities across the Okanagan and throughout BC. Be prepared.
|On average 42% of wildfires are human-caused (discarded cigarettes, equipment use, unattended campfire etc.) and 58% are lightning-caused. In 2021, over 8,700 square kilometers of land burned in wildfires in BC.|
A wildfire event
REMEMBER THE SIX “P’S”
Keep These Six “P’s” Ready In Case Immediate Evacuation Is Required:
- People and pets
- Papers, phone numbers, and important documents
- Prescriptions, vitamins, and eyeglasses
- Pictures and irreplaceable memorabilia
- Personal computer hard drive and disks
- “Plastic” (credit cards, ATM cards) and cash