The North Okanagan Conservation Fund is a dedicated source of funding for the specific purpose of undertaking environmental conservation projects. This Fund will help communities ensure the sustainability of our environment and protect our quality of life now and for the future. The 2021/2022 Fund will provide over $80,000 to eligible conservation projects.
Natural lands in both rural and urban areas filter our water, supply open spaces for wildlife and people, and provide assets that improve the quality of life to communities.
Unfortunately, these natural systems are under stress. The current generation must act now to ensure a healthy physical environment for future generations. The purpose of the Fund is to provide local financial support for projects that will contribute to the conservation of our valuable natural areas and help restore and protect a healthy environment. The intent is to provide funding for conservation projects that are not the existing responsibility of the federal, provincial or local governments.
Sample projects could include (but are not limited to):
- Projects that can demonstrate a reduction of a known threat to:
- Riparian, foreshore and water bodies including gullies, creeks, rivers, ponds, lakes, marshes and swamps;
- Wetlands both permanent and ephemeral including wet meadows, marshes, swamps and shallow open water areas including ponds;
- Grasslands and shrub-steppe;
- Sparsely vegetated rock outcrops, talus, cliffs and slopes;
- Broadleaf & coniferous woodlands and old forests;
- Other important ecosystems such as mature forests and Seasonally Flooded Fields; and,
- Watersheds at important source water protection areas.
- Connectivity for natural areas and wildlife corridors.
- Native fish and wildlife habitat, including for species at risk.
- Urban and rural wild-land interface areas.
Applicants must be an incorporated non-profit society in good standing or must partner with an organization that has registered society status.
North Okanagan Conservation Fund Service Establishment Bylaw
Read the North Okanagan Climate Projections Report
Read the North Okanagan Conservation Fund Terms of Reference to confirm your eligibility.
Download the Project Budget Form
Download the Final Report Form
Scott Boswell, Program Manager, OCCP at firstname.lastname@example.org