The application period for 2023 projects is now open. For questions about applications and potential projects contact email@example.com.
Eligibility & Project Scope
The Regional District of North Okanagan (RDNO) supports initiatives that help support the goals and objectives of the RDNO Solid Waste Management Plan. Funding is available for innovative projects that contribute to reducing waste and assisting the RDNO with achieving its refuse disposal goal of 350kg/capita/year or less.
Individuals, businesses, community groups and non-profit organizations, including school groups are eligible to apply for funding.
Eligible projects include programs, events, processes, technologies, arts and culture displays and/or methods that contribute reducing waste and support the development of a localized circular economy. Some example projects include: community sharing initiatives, reducing food waste, collecting reusable materials, research projects, waste reduction education events, product repair events/courses, policy amendments, and waste reduction equipment development.
Project Grant funds may be requested for up to 50% of the total cost of a project. A total of $50,000 yearly in funding has been approved. An effort will be made to award funding to a number of projects from the predetermined funding allocation.
Primary elements that projects will be evaluated for are:
- Defining a clear project description that features Rethinking Waste
- Setting specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and timely goals
- Presenting a unique and innovative approach to waste reduction (preference for projects that prioritize the first two R’s of Reduce and Reuse)
- Being accessible to the broader community
- Collaborating with individuals and organizations in the community
- Being a financially sustainable project after the grant period
- Demonstrating sound management and fiscal responsibility
The following resources are intended to help to identify some grant project ideas: